Daily SEL Lesson – Self-Awareness Through Mindfulness 4/20
Welcome to the CLS Daily SEL lesson. Each day, Monday through Friday, we will provide a new social-emotional learning lesson designed to build emotional intelligence and resilience. There will be a lesson for elementary students and a lesson for secondary students that include media (videos, audios, or text) and simple step-by-step instructions.
We hope that the lessons are helpful to you and your children.
Weekly Focus: Self-Awareness
Elementary Lesson – The Brain And Stress
Media: Video –
- Watch the video and answer the following questions:
- What body systems are impacted by stress?
- How does stress affect you?
- How can mindfulness reduce the negative impact of stress?
- Write a short story about a time when stress overwhelmed your emotions and what you can do to reduce the feeling of overwhelm in the future.
Secondary Lesson – Dan Harris and Mindfulness
Media: Video –
- Watch this short video carefully and take notes on the change possible in the brain’s gray matter.
- Watch the video again and devise an “elevator speech” on the benefits of Mindfulness. You can be funny, serious, but always factual (like Dan). An “elevator speech” is a one-minute description…something you could teach in a super short amount of time to someone who has never heard of your topic before. As you probably know, mindfulness is a new idea to many people.
Join us tomorrow for more lessons about mindfulness and developing self-awareness.